Since the escalation of social media people can now speak to people from all backgrounds, anywhere in the world. It should be an amazing opportunity to exchange ideas and reach out the hand of friendship. Instead far too many people are using it as a way to spread vile hateful abuse. There is no excuse for this kind of behaviour. It’s not clever, it’s not funny or a bit of a laugh. Be very clear, it’s abuse! Pure and simple. Nothing more or less than bullying. Just because someone has posted a picture or comment doesn’t give you the right to say something deliberately hurtful and nasty. It’s not any nicer than it would be said to their face, just because you typed it.
So what should you consider before making comments on posts?
1. Would you be happy if someone made the same comment to you? If I couldn’t justify making the same comment to someone’s face I would never type it.
2. Sarcasm doesn’t translate well via text.- if it’s a joke make sure the recipient knows it’s a joke.
3. People have cultural and religious differences. consider the other person’s feelings first before commenting .
4. Just because someone has posted 100 selfies, doesn’t mean they don’t have insecurities about their looks.
5. Don’t put private information on public forums.
6. If you think something should be discussed between you and the other person only, don’t post your thoughts somewhere that’s open to public opinion.
7. If you don’t like or agree with something ,you don’t have to comment . You can just scroll down.
If you try to remember to treat people the way you would if you met them in real life then you shouldn’t encounter any problems . It only takes consideration and kindness to be a good friend. Have fun and spread happiness , it makes a better day for everyone.