Across the world there has been a phenomenal number of atrocities committed in the name of religion, politics and just plain and simple prejudice. None of it is acceptable. There is never an excuse for hurting some one either verbally or physically just because they are different from yourself.
Most people reading this will probably be thinking that they would never behave in such a way but by being complicit we are all culpable . For a moment I want you to read through the following list and honestly consider how many of the things you have done.
1. Crossed the road to avoid someone who looks different.
2. Made assumptions about someone based on their colour, religion or sexual orientation.
3. Used a derogatory term .
4. Ignored derogatory comments made by friends and family.
5. Ignored the problem when someone is being hassled because of there colour, religion, sexual orientation, nationality .
6. Participated in harassment .
7. Thought that the harassment was acceptable .
If you have answered yes to any of these things then it’s time to change. Division and lack of tolerance creates hate. Reach out, get to know the people in your community , you may be pleasantly surprised to discover you have more in common than you expect . Even if you don’t, understanding and acceptance removes fear. Don’t let evil win. It’s time to take back the control and use kindness and understanding to regain peace.